RCHT Ophthalmic department runs the following services for new patients:
- accessed by phoning triage nurse on 01872 253788 9-5pm. Patients need to be referred by GP or optometrist, and accompanied by a letter. Currently there is a duty doctor for 24 hours for discussion of patients and seeing of very urgent cases outside these times. It is not a patient walk-in service
General Eye Clinics
- although run in 6 peripheral sites, all referrals come via RCHT
One stop cataract clinic
- For simple cataract (seen by community optom pre-referral so other pathology ruled out). Seen by doctor and have pre-op assessment at same time. Not currently offering surgery on same day.
- Probus Surgical Centre offers some day surgery
- see all new children referrals
Diabetic Retinal Screening/laser clinic
- to see and treat patients referred from community run DRS
Wet macular degeneration clinic (WARM)
- accessed by faxed referral to WARM service, preferably on pro forma
- direct referral for trichiasis, Meibomian cysts, small lid lesions.
- All cases under LA so not suitable for young children, complex or recurrent lesions.
- direct referral for debilitating blepharospasm
Consultant-led specialist clinics
- for complex cases in their subspecialty, or for patients already under their care.
It is encouraged that all non-acute referrals are accompanied by an optometrist letter and this is essential for referrals for cataract and non-acute glaucoma.
Other Service Providers
- Conditions marked Probus are suitable
In the event of doubt please contact the department for further advice.
Ophthalmic Fax: 01872 253908
Ophthalmic casualty 01872 253788
Secretaries: Ms Claridge general/glaucoma 01872 253987
Mr Jones general/paediatrics 01872 253905
Ms Hale general/plastics 01872 253906
Mr Murjaneh general/retina 01872 253907
Mr Westlake general/glaucoma/plastics 01872 252902
Mr Wilson-Holt general/diabetes 01872 253903
Mr Patwardhan general/retina/uveitis 01872 253402
National Artificial Eye Service
The National Artificial Eye Service is a supraregional NHS specialist service for artificial eyes and orbital prostheses. Bi-weekly clinics are run at RCHT Treliske