RCHT Ophthalmic department runs the following services for new patients:
Emergency Eye Casualty
- Open Monday – Saturday, 0800 to 1800
- Accessed by emailed referral to the triage nurse using the EEC e-referral pro-forma
- Patients need to be referred by GP or optometrist: it is not a walk-in service. You will receive an automatic response to acknowledge receipt. The e-referrals will be processed in real time, and acted on by the end of the day, or after 1800 on the following day. Referrals received on Sunday will be looked at on the Monday. Once triaged, EEC will contact the patient to make an appointment, as appropriate.
General Eye Clinics
- although run in 6 peripheral sites, all referrals come via RCHT
One stop cataract clinic
- For simple cataract (seen by community optom pre-referral so other pathology ruled out). Seen by doctor and have pre-op assessment at same time. Not currently offering surgery on same day.
- Probus Surgical Centre offers some day surgery
- see all new children referrals
Diabetic Retinal Screening/laser clinic
- to see and treat patients referred from community run DRS
Wet macular degeneration clinic (WARM)
- accessed by emailed referral to Macular service, preferably on pro forma
- direct referral for trichiasis, Meibomian cysts, small lid lesions.
- All cases under LA so not suitable for young children, complex or recurrent lesions.
- direct referral for debilitating blepharospasm
Consultant-led specialist clinics
- for complex cases in their subspecialty, or for patients already under their care.
It is encouraged that all non-acute referrals are accompanied by an optometrist letter and this is essential for referrals for cataract and non-acute glaucoma.
Other Service Providers
- Conditions marked Probus are suitable
In the event of doubt please contact the department for further advice.
Ophthalmic Fax: 01872 253908
Ophthalmic casualty 01872 253788
Secretaries: Ms Claridge general/glaucoma 01872 253987
Mr Jones general/paediatrics 01872 253905
Ms Hale general/plastics 01872 253906
Mr Murjaneh general/retina 01872 253907
Mr Westlake general/glaucoma/plastics 01872 252902
Mr Wilson-Holt general/diabetes 01872 253903
Mr Patwardhan general/retina/uveitis 01872 253402
National Artificial Eye Service
The National Artificial Eye Service is a supraregional NHS specialist service for artificial eyes and orbital prostheses. Bi-weekly clinics are run at RCHT Treliske