Presence of white cells in urine with negative MSU. Usually not a significant finding.
Indications for referral:
- Abnormal USS imaging
- Risk factor for urothelial TCC (smoking, chemical exposure, etc.) or other concerns may benefit from cystoscopy; suggest a referral letter (not C&B)
Differential diagnosis/Possible causes:
- Incomplete treatment of UTI
- Renal tract stone/foreign body
- Polycystic kidneys
- Recent instrumentation
- May be seen with IUCDs
Primary care management prior to referral:
- Repeat sample to confirm
- USS renal tract.
- 3 X Early morning urine if TB diagnosis possible
- If these tests are normal further investigation is not routinely needed