Renal Masses / Renal Cell Carcinoma
Abdominal mass arising from the urinary tract or imaging shows renal mass
Management prior to referral
- Urgent renal tract USS
- CT renal mass 2WW with CT thorax for full staging if imaging shows renal mass
Primary Care Management
- ~5% visible haematuria is attributable to renal cancer. Patients with haematuria should be managed in line with that guidance that includes an urgent renal tract USS.
- Most renal tumours are not palpable. Please investigate any abdominal mass with USS prior to 2WW referral.
- More commonly renal masses are serendipitous findings from unrelated abdominal imaging; the scan report will advise if there are suspicious features warranting 2WW referral.
- Please pre warn patients the significance of referral
NICE, Urological cancers, recognition and referral, November 2015
Mr Christopher Blake, Consultant Urologist, RCHT
Dr Stephanie Jackson, GP Lead Urology
Reviewed: July 2018