Management options in primary care:
Topical clindamycin 1% bd for 3 months + tetracycline 500mg bd for 4 months
Oral clindamycin 300mg bd + rifampicin 300mg bd for 10 weeks
Refer patients where there has been an unsatisfactory response to step 1 +/- step 2 for consideration of biologic therapy.
- Can colour urine/contact lenses
- Monitoring of LFTs required as per BNF.
- Additional contraceptive measures required, see BNF chapter, ‘Contraceptives, interactions’ for guidance.
- Stop if diarrhoea develops – predisposes to C. diff. infection.
- Contraindicated in pregnancy