Children - Eating Disorders
Children and Young People’s Eating Disorder Service (CEDS) 8 – 18th birthday.
The Children and Young People Eating Disorder Service (CEDS) is a specialist team of Psychiatrists, Therapy Professionals, Dieticians, Paediatricians and Nurses in the community working as one team in one pathway to support young people who have restrictive eating disorders of anorexia nervosa (AN) and bulimia nervosa (BN).
Email the completed request for help to the CEDS team email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Referral form attached or written letter to include the following information to help the CEDS team prioritise risk and appropriate timely assessments: -
- Full patient details
- Most recent height, weight + BMI
- Information about weight trend if available (including food intake over the last week and weight loss over the last few weeks)
- Relevant past medical and psychiatric history (including psychiatric co-morbidities – low mood, suicidal ideation, self harm)
- Any child protection concerns
- Examination including – heart rate, orthostatic blood pressure and temperature
- FBC, U+Es, Bone profile, LFTs, LH, FSH and oestradiol, CK, Vit B12, folate,
vit D and glucose.
Heart rate - <40 bpm or irregular
Orthostatic blood pressure - sitting systolic <80mmHg, diastolic < 50mmHg, postural drop >20mmHg
Temperature - <35.5 C
Food intake – NO food or less than 500kcal/day for 5 days or more
When RED risks are identified in GP assessment
GP to make a phone call on the day to the local paediatric team for all young people up to their 18th birthday.
- RCHT Treliske switchboard 01872 250000 – on call Consultant Paediatrician
- PHT Derriford: Dr Aung 01752 431589 or Dr Turner 01752 432450 (CEDS Lead Paediatricians).
If the Paediatrician advises admission the CEDS team will be notified by the inpatient team.
If the child or young person is not admitted but offered an urgent appointment please email the referral form or letter with information as above to email@example.com
Ongoing physical monitoring for all patients 8 - 18 accepted into the service will be organised by the CEDS team. CEDS Clinical Lead phone number – 01579 373850.
Information leaflet for young people and families - what to expect once a request for help has been made including further Eating Disorder information resources. (link)
Please note at RCHT due to pressure on bed capacity within paediatric wards a 16+ patient may need to be admitted under adult medicine. This will be arranged internally by the paediatrician and will not require another call to the adult medical team.