Unintentional weight loss
An individual is Malnourished if there is:
• a body mass index (BMI) of less than 18.5 kg/m2
• unintentional weight loss greater than 10% within the last 3–6 months
• a BMI of less than 20 kg/m2 and unintentional weight loss greater than 5% within the last 3–6 months.
An individual is at Risk of being Malnourished if :
• They have eaten little or nothing for more than 5 days and/or are likely to eat little or nothing for 5 days or longer
• They have poor absorptive capacity and/or high nutrient losses and/or increased nutritional needs from causes such as catabolism.
Prior to referral please undertake MUST( Malnutrition Universal Screening Tool)
Provide first line advice Making the most of your food
Refer to dietitian if:
· Patient has not responded to first line advice over a 2 month period